Monday, August 14, 2017

Review: Passengers

I finally watched the movie (I had wanted to for a while because of the cast), which I put off because of the poor reviews, and I can finally see why they were justified.

My dad watched the movie a while ago, and he has a nasty habit of spoiling movies. After watching the movie, I realized that there was nothing he really could have spoiled. It was predictable and bland. 

Me as I look out the window: "Where did the plot go?"
I'll spoil from the start - it's a love story of sorts. Or at least, it's supposed to be. Additionally, from what I saw in the trailer, I expected a high action, intense, fast-paced space thriller, all of which I only got about... 15 minutes? Romance is space is a big bang (as in it was a sad explosion of elements. Sorry.). And they did in fact... you know.

But it is unfortunate because I did not feel any emotion towards their relationship because it was so random and sudden, and it made no sense (especially the ending).


Such good actors, such bad chemistry
The themes that should have been presented include the sheer vastness of space, as well as the sheer LONELINESS of it. The loneliness that drove Pratt's character to making the decisions he did. Because the plot did not portray that struggle sufficiently at all. There was never a moment of just pure silence, pure lost-in-thought moments, and I think it might have been a better plot for him to stay alone and pang for someone he could never have or wake because of his moral reasoning - and that his love story was tragic. 

When the romance took hold of the plot, it was rather rushed, and our characters suddenly fell in love. There was little consideration of the fact that the two of them were alone, together. For the rest of their lives. That's daunting, and undesirable. I would not want to live in a world where the only person I know is my romantic partner. I thought there could have been a Huis Clos-esque plot in which "Hell is other people", but it did not take that path, and I am a bit disappointed with the direction it took.

The ending was ridiculous. One miracle after another, I was expecting everything to go wrong and stay wrong in order to nuance the plot more, but no - since this is a romance movie it has to end a certain way, right? Spoiler Alert: Them getting and staying together was as unfortunate as their sudden romance. Would you really give up everything you've worked for your whole life for a man you knew a bit too intimately for a year, who also happened to have screwed you over without your consent? Not a moral question, but a practical one. End Spoiler.


To conclude, I did not particularly like this movie (I do like the actors!), if that wasn't apparent yet. The plot was stale and could have been more creative, more refreshing. If you want to watch a cool space movie, I suggest Gravity or Interstellar. Passengers fell a little short of expectation on this. But hey, I look forward to the next X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy! Marvel to the rescue! 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment